We are heading to the finish of this model. We need to create the left side of the dashboard with the instrument gauge area, steering column, and steering wheel. We need to construct the hood area which is a large curved area.
This curve is wide and shallow on the top but is set in further on the front portion. I also gave the instrument area some nice depth with a slight tilt backwards on the upper portion. After that I general marked the area where the steering column should go. Now we can start on the steering column with the two levers.
This steering column is actually fairly easy to model as it is mostly a square box. I rounded the edges and added a couple of simulated screw locations. I have the steering column the angle that looked good for a driver. I didn’t get too specific with the column features as there seems to be too many different real world versions to choose from.
The next part was the levers which were fairly version-generic as well.
Now we can turn our attention to the rear of the instrument gauge area and steering column. For my Toyota dashboard I had removed material from behind the steering column so it would reduce the cost of printing the model. I will be following the same line of thought with this model.
We construct an inner area that has the proper eventual wall thickness for printing. In this case it was around 1.1mm to be above tolerance to ensure printing but not be too thick to defeat the purpose of reducing the printed material. It was requested that the client be able to light the dash gauges from behind and they wanted a hole for a 5mm diameter LED to be inserted into. We added the small cavity and connected it to the opening behind the steering column. With all of the tolerances in place we should close it all up.
With the steering column and instrument gauge areas complete we can move onto the steering wheel. A specific steering wheel was chosen by the client so we modeled that one. The steering wheel is press-fitted to the dash.
With everything completed we can see how it will look on our simulated interior piece to make sure we are still working within the tolerances we set previously.
With everything completed we can take a look at the pieces we have created in an exploded kind of view to get a better perspective with what we have created.
We ordered a test print of this complete dashboard for evaluation and fit testing. Here is the video of how it all came out.
Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement. This was a fun project and I look forward to seeing how people use it in their builds!