Tedd has a fair amount of information about this truck, as one might expect. He was able to give me a PDF file with specifications for the truck and I could scale that down as needed to create the model. One thing I have noticed with people using the SCX10 chassis for their builds is that it was never designed around anything real, in terms of dimensions. So what we are working with is a designer’s idea of what should be used and then take it or leave it.
We have all taken it and the rest is history. The funny thing is that the axles, being too wide, tend to cause the wheels to stick out past the bodies people are using. This was exactly the same issue I have encountered with this build. In order to be 1/10 scale the body is 170mm wide. The common AX10 axles that comes with the SCX10 kits are approximately 190mm wide, measured at the hexes.
This body, like many others, is too large to print as one piece. This means it has to be printed in sections or pieces. This wont’ be an issue because it will allow us to work within the 3D printing process and then mold the final product. The final piece will be a single, solid body.
Let’s get started! I began with tracing out the design from the drawings I have. Because we are starting with Tedd’s truck we will be doing the double cab type first. The next step is to take that flat outline and give it some thickness. I placed the drawing over the SCX10 chassis, matched the wheelbase with scaling and then added thickness.
You might notice that I only went to half thickness at first and then show a full model. I only create half of the model and then copy the other half in a mirror fashion. This is a common modeling technique used to create uniform models. The two halves are linked. This means that whatever I do to one side is updated automatically to the other. I can maintain symmetry at all times.
The bed needed to be dropped and wheel wells added. This particular truck has the top portion of the wheel wells go from front to back on each side creating storage areas and bench seating of sorts.
I rotated the rear axle to get an idea of articulation and where it put the tires relative to the body. Doing this made it easier to create wheel wells that were more functional than visual. Modeling the body this way shows me where all of the chassis elements will collide with the body. Adjustments can be made for this in the future. I set the bed of the body almost on top of the chassis rails to make it more realistic. A cantilever shock setup in the rear would be ideal for this kind of truck eliminating the need to carve out areas of the bed for the shock towers to pass through. Moving the transmission forward and using a small transfer case in the middle would also make things fit nicely without having to cut the body.
Soon I will be adding body thickness and rounding corners.